[Talk-us] Forest Routes

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Wed Nov 28 16:58:38 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-28 06:49, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 02:07:45 -0800
> Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> wrote:

>>> I think the ref tag on the ways should have a prefix and not just
>>> consist of a bare number. Otherwise, it's just as ambiguous for
>>> data consumers as the (123) refs all over New Jersey, since the
>>> U.S. doesn't have a highway tag that corresponds one-for-one with
>>> forest routes.
>>
>> (I hit send too soon.) Lots of shields show only the number and no
>> prefix, such as the U.S. Route shield, but we still use the "US"
>> prefix anyways.
>>
>> Data consumers really should be using route relations instead of ref
>> tags on ways whenever possible. Some ambiguity is unavoidable on way
>> refs, which IMO should reflect what's on plain-text signage or in
>> publications. If one thinks of the way refs as a compatibility shim,
>> then "FS" doesn't seem unreasonable as a prefix.
>
> I think you are right. It would be good if we can arrive at a common
> prefix and document it on the wiki. 'FS' makes sense. Perhaps even a new
> page dedicated to roads that are maintained directly by federal agencies
> (NPS, USDA, others?) would make sense. I'd be happy to help set it up.

One page already documented an "NFH" prefix on ways and
network=US:NFSR:<forest> on relations. [1] I think I added that entry to
the table after seeing it on some forest routes in California. [2] But
I've changed it to an "FS" prefix since so many more ways are tagged
with that prefix. [3]

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging/Routes
[2] http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/E5V
[3] http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/E5W