[Talk-us] NYC Name Vandalism

Alan Brown adbrown1967 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 00:56:21 UTC 2018

Hi,
Perhaps I didn't express it clearly, but my interest was in the idea that certain. rather limited changelists could be flagged for moderation before they are put into main dataset.  There will always be things that seem like they should be blocked, but are actually appropriate.   In the interest of having the most accurate data, I'm not convinced this form of moderation can't have a role.  As I understand it, the virtue of OSM is to allow anyone to contribute accurate, detailed local knowledge about the places they know about; however, there's no value in having junk in the database for even a moment, if it can be avoided.  Place names are usually verifiable facts, even disputed place names.  So you don't want the open nature of OSM to compromise accuracy, or a quest for accuracy to discourage people from contributing accurate information.

I said my peace; I suspect the OSM community is not culturally disposed to that form of moderation. So I will ask about a different approach.

In my case, I've seen editing errors that affected motorway connectivity (not vandalism), that were made and corrected within a couple hours.  Pretty good - except our planet file was in that two hour window.  I want to avoid these errors, without getting caught in the errors of the next two hour window.
I'm not sure if Mapbox or others use a process like this, but this is what I can imagine:

PLANETcur is the current planet filePLANETprev is the last used planet fileCHANGEcur-prev is a comprehensive list of changelists between the two datasets

A particular consumer of OSM data can automatically scan CHANGEcur-prev and/or PLANETcur for potentially troubling content, according to their own criteria.  In their local copy, if they detect something they do not want to accept - offensive place names, incomplete topology - they can attempt to revert - in their local copy only! - recent changes that violate their criteria.  They accept whatever mistakes their "reversion" algorithm makes.  The identified "questionable changelists"  can be submitted back to the OSM community to review and revert, but always by a human.

My hope is that I am being completely unoriginal, and I can cobble together existing tools quickly. How unoriginal am I?
I am looking over the osmcha.mapbox.com page, and saw reference to a utility called "osm-compare":   https://github.com/mapbox/osm-compare/blob/master/comparators/README.md - which has an obscenity filter.  If I understand this correctly, osm-compare flags changelists for review, osmcha.mapbox.com allows people to review the flagged datasets and reverse bad edits.  Could someone define osm-compare filters that produce results that can be automatically pulled into a local copy?
(If a changeset has been reviewed by a second person - can that information be provided).

All I want is something that allows me to be a little bit more conservative in accepting edits, without requiring complex processes or large resource.  A little insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,Alan