[Talk-us] Possible roundabouts?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Sep 8 17:10:41 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 8:59 AM Chris Hathcock <chris.hatch.2 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Without looking at the intersections in question, I suspect they could be
> traffic calming circles. These are common in residential areas. They're
> frequently uncontrolled and unsigned and the purpose of them is to slow
> down traffic, not to improve traffic flow like a roundabout.
>
> I agree with Albert that junction=circular is the way to go. However, I'm
> unsure of whether it would be better to just tag the intersection node or
> draw out the circle and add 4 nodes as the wiki seems to suggest. I think
> you can argue it either way, there's technically a roundish right of way,
> but all of the ones I've seen are basically a hole cut in the middle of an
> otherwise straight intersection. Sometimes the circle is small enough that
> you can swerve around it if you're going straight. It's not something I've
> tried to map before so I haven't given it much thought.

The location Marian provided all look like roudabouts but without any
directional arrows in the pavement. Seattle has a bunch of island calming
intersections that I've mapped in the past with just a node at the
intersection. See
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wallingford,+Seattle,+WA/@47.6580491,-122.3397932,54m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x54901457beb77743:0x3352f3c14438fcbe!8m2!3d47.661258!4d-122.3298912
for an example. I believe that the city ordinance allows for left turn
without going through the circle.

All of the examples Marian gave I would map as a circle with a oneway=yes
along with a note for help from a local mapper to verify. Going one way in
the circle wouldn't be wrong, but making it two way could be wrong.

Best,
Clifford

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us