[Talk-us] USPS Post Boxes

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Wed Sep 12 21:25:15 UTC 2018

It would be good to standardize on operator tags for the 4 major carriers
as you mentioned.  The logos for DHL, FedEx, and UPS have those exact
letters in them, so if people map what they see, then they will end up with
those exact values.  However, as mentioned, the USPS logo actually contains
the text United States Postal Service.

I could be convinced to switch my tagging from United States Postal Service
to USPS.  Are there any arguments to support the short form beyond it being
easier to type?

Both "USPS" and "United States Postal Service" are used within the text of
this page:
"The History Behind the USPS Logo"
https://uspsblog.com/the-history-behind-the-usps-logo/

Looking at USPS trademarks
https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc1_006.htm
and the USPS FAQ
http://faq.usps.com/
you can see that "U.S. Postal Service" is another possible variation on the
same name.

Looking through Taginfo, OSM tag usage reflects the same inconsistencies as
in the USPS FAQ.  The following similar key/vales exist:
operator=USPS
operator=United States Postal Service
operator=US Postal Service
operator=U.S. Postal Service

OSM Tag History can be used to graph total usage of these tags over time:

http://taghistory.raifer.tech/
[image: taghistory_USPS.png]

All 4 lines on the graph are increasing over time with USPS and United
States Postal Service being an order of magnitude higher than the
variations with only the US abbreviated.  The graph doesn't yet reflect
Leif's efforts to standardize tagging (spike in USPS and dip in United
States Postal Service).

Once we come to a consensus, we should document on the OSM wiki pages for
amenity=post_box and amenity=post_office, and also flow to editor presets.

Peter