[Talk-us] Denver RTD's public_transport growth

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Sep 12 23:49:58 UTC 2018

On Sep 2, 2018, at 9:52 PM, OSM Volunteer stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:

> I "found something rectangular" and sketched in http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Colorado/Railroads which we might agree (as a useful, communicative wiki) is "alpha-1" or so.

Following up to my own post, (that wiki continues as "early alpha"), two important tasks emerge:

1)  Denver RTD's University of Colorado A Line (train) needs nodes/ways added to OSM, tagged public_transport=platform to grow the route from public_transport:version=1 to v2.  Seeing this is a pretty heavily-travelled passenger=suburban route=train, this shouldn't be too difficult, and

2)  TIGER Review of existing mainline freight rail (primarily mainline BNSF routes Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak, Spanish Peaks and Walsenburg Subdivisions) will need some additional authoritative data sources (Colorado PUC?) to "untangle" them from UP lines:  they have blurred so much and are have gotten so confused that the original TIGER data are virtually incomprehensible as they exist in OSM at present.

Of course, keeping the wiki synced with the data in OSM is the whole point.  Then we go beta and eventually Colorado/Railroads become "a pretty darn good set of statewide rail data, well-documented."  One state at a time, OSM rail data (from decade-old hoary TIGER data) do measurably and demonstrably improve.

Thanks, especially to Colorado OSMers/rail enthusiasts who have responded so far,

SteveA
California