[Talk-us] Alaska Highway AK-2 tagging

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Dec 17 00:56:55 UTC 2019

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 6:47 PM Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Alaska is not attached to the rest of the USA, so consistency with the
> Yukon Territory and British Columbia is equally important.
>
> In the western USA, highway=trunk is not limited to expressways like it is
> in Germany and France
>
> On the West Coast, several important State highways are tagged as trunks
> even though they are not full expressways, because they are the main road
> for a large region. For example, see US 199, US 101, CA 99 and CA 299 on
> this map of far Northern California:

Are we sure that's not leftover tagging from before NE2 torqued things on a
continental level?  101 in parts of California I could potentially see, and
maybe parts of 99 where the freeway is ending in central california but the
other examples probably should be secondary in most cases for the state
highways and primary for the US ones.