[Talk-us] Trunk VS primary,

Mike N niceman at att.net
Tue Dec 17 13:24:01 UTC 2019

   I think many of the trunk VS motorway VS primary conflicts come from
2 points of view:  on the one hand, people like to zoom out and see a
coherent network of interconnected roads.   On the other side, there is
the group that prefers the road be classed according to its regional
characteristics, and not necessarily in the same class for its entire
designated span.

On 12/16/2019 7:54 PM, Evin Fairchild wrote:
 >Personally I think US highways should be tagged as trunk roads in most
cases

   In the end, this would suffer from the same connectivity issue:
should the US highway remain a trunk as it reduces to 2 lanes and drops
to 30mph passing through a tourist area?   Would that tend to draw GPS
navigation routes from nearby faster, parallel streets?  Or would it
look like an ugly gap in the trunk road if it switched to primary in
that tourist area?

   As an aside, I sense that the tendency to upgrade results in all OSM
streets being promoted by one level, resulting in a compression at the
top end and less class distinction at those levels.   But because of the
subjective issues I just let it happen rather than re-edit any such
changes unless they are massively changing everything in a region.