[Talk-us] Trunk VS primary,

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Dec 20 00:14:12 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 5:13 AM Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:

> On 12/17/2019 10:19 PM, Evin Fairchild wrote:
> > some US routes are more important than others and lumping them all as
> > primary doesn???t make any sense;
>
> The arguments here about relative importance of parallel routes makes
> sense.
>
>    Some massive changes such as in
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/78620805 are raising roads which
> have no other major choices, but are apparently just because they are
> the most important.

This smashing everything to the highest possible value I would generally
consider to be an undiscussed and problematic mechanical edit.  Going with
the lowest level that fits feels a bit more correct (think "minimum
effective dose" from medicine, for example), does give routers more
information where there's lots of routes available, and humans more of an
idea what kind of road they're going to encounter at a glance.