[Talk-us] confusing state of USFS trail names in Oregon

Tod Fitch tod at fitchfamily.org
Fri Dec 20 06:11:13 UTC 2019

In my area there are variations on the Forest Service signs as well (“Ice House Canyon Trail” vs “Icehouse Canyon Trail” and “Chiquito Trail” vs “Chiquita Trail” are two examples that come to mind). I suspect some of the variations are due to changes in spelling, etc. over time so the older signs don’t match the newer signs.

The Forest Service is supposed to maintain an official inventory of trails and roads. A copy should be at each District Ranger Station and also at the Forest Supervisor’s office and at the Region Offices. However at least in Region 5 where I am it seems that every Forest is woefully understaffed on the recreation side because most of the money nowadays is going into fire. Because of that there may not even be a recreation officer you can get in contact with. I guess you should go up the line trying first at the district ranger station where the trail(s) are located.

In the meantime, I’ve dealt with multiple name variations on my mapping by putting the most common name (one with most signs in agreement) as the value for the OSM name tag and the less common version under the alt_name tag. Fortunately I haven’t run into trails that have more than two variations on their names. I guess that if/when I do I’ll also have to figure out how to parse semicolon separated options in a value using either Postgresql or Mapnik XML when I make my personal maps.

Cheers,
Tod