[Talk-us] [Tagging] Trunk VS primary

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Dec 21 16:35:24 UTC 2019

21 Dec 2019, 15:29 by wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org:

> * Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
>
>> 21 Dec 2019, 12:00 by wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org:
>>
>>> I suggest to keep the road classification consistent at least within
>>> a country and try to solve the problem of roads in low-zoom maps at
>>> the rendering level, by modifying the list of displayed road classes
>>> until a target density of displayed roads is reached. That might
>>> become easier to do when we move to vector tiles.
>>>
>> Seems not doable with OSM data - this
>> would require far more road classes
>> than we use.
>>

> Why would we need more road classes for that? This would only be an
> issue if the difference between two "adjacent" classes would be so big
> that you would jump from "almost none" to "to many to display" in one
> step.

Exactly.

There are many places where motorway
and trunk is not enough
(as trunks are not used for roads
forming core network but for expressways).

Adding also primary roads pushes it into
unacceptable many roads forming blobs.

>> lane and surface data is also almost
>> certainly not helpful here even with full
>> coverage
>>
>> And it would result in weird transitions
>> between countries.
>>

> Only if road density changes rapidly at the border, and then we would
> just depict the weird transition that exists in reality.

In case of using regions not matching countries
you will still have weird transitions on borders of regions.
> I think it might be possible to upgrade the "minimum zoom level to
> display" on a way if there are no already displayed ways in an area,
> maybe only if it connects to an already displayed way (recursive).
> That way we would boost the minimum zoom level of e.g.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/196509120 to zoom-level 11 or maybe
> even 9, even with it being just a low quality dirt track going near an
> obscure archaeological site in the middle of nowhere.

I had some ideas, none managed to deal
with "weird borders somewhere".