[Talk-us] TIGER-completeness visualizer?

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Dec 24 00:42:49 UTC 2019

On Dec 22, 2019, at 11:34 AM, Greg Morgan <dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... I think the challenge for the U.S. project is that most of these maps have been maintained outside the U.S.  If implemented, I am not sure how long OSMOSE would provide the service.

One more thing we might potentially learn from our (OSM-US') experience (of the TIGER import of 2007-8), would be to insist upon a high bar for such large-scale imports in the future (this was our largest, without a doubt):  the proposers of the import must "pre-load for the back-end" a renderer that will both display and foster such goal-oriented tools to "finish the job with high-quality AFTER the import."  Import proposers would be required to author and maintain this renderer / server for as long as satisfactory QA-completion of the import takes.

True, we might not be sure "how long such services would be provided" (nobody's good intentions or crystal balls are absolutely perfect), but it certainly is worth considering insisting upon something like this for large-scale imports.  (Should we ever again risk them).

Our Import Guidelines seem a happy medium right now, though for something huge, a similarly huge commitment to having the technical chops and providing (renderer server) resources to finish the job well seems fair.  We have good examples of tools that help us "how," we might agree to require these "if and when again."

Still seeking a good TIGER reviewer / visualizer, though I can get some things done with OT.

SteveA
California