[Talk-us] Alt_names on counties

Tod Fitch tod at fitchfamily.org
Thu Dec 26 16:03:00 UTC 2019

In your case the name (Congressman Ed Pastor Freeway) is quite different than the alt_name (South Mountain Freeway). I am not sure what the signage is on the ground (I won’t be driving through there for another few months) but this is what I’d expect the alt_name to be used for.

However it is located in Maricopa County (name=“Maricopa County” with alt_name=“Maricopa”) and that use of alt_name is what I find annoying.

To be up front, I had not noticed this naming practice in Arizona and California before I’d modified my topographic map rendering to combine the name and alt_name values into a form of “name value (alt_name value)” and seeing “Maricopa County (Maricopa)” on my map is what brought it to my attention. In your case “Congressman Ed Pastor Freeway (South Mountain Freeway)” would make perfect sense from the point of view of my rendering.

If the hive opinion is that having the alt_name value be a substring of the name value is okay then so be it. But my impression was that the alt_name was for cases like the South Mountain Freeway where the two names were significantly different.

Regarding keeping the alt_name in this case to assist searching is not an issue. For example if you search for “Columbia” on https:www.openstreetmap.org to find Columbia County in Washington State you will find many other Columbia Counties around the country, only the one in Florida has alt_name=Columbia set. Nominatim will return all of them despite the lack of an alt_name tag on most of them.

Cheers!
Tod