[Talk-us] Alt_names on counties

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Dec 26 18:09:37 UTC 2019

The myriad variations of "name" (alt, loc, nat, old, reg, official, sorting, int...) show how complex this is.  The issues go back many years and will likely continue well into the future, indeed many participants in this/these thread(s) are authors of our wiki's name page.

Better documenting, continuing dialog, consensus-style agreement, changing data in the map to reflect our well- or better-documented conventions:  all of these get us closer to perfection.  Although I think everybody agrees, perfection is nigh on impossible, as "the map is never 'done.'"

"Do our best."  If there is contention, discuss it.  If there is misunderstanding or disagreement, discuss it.  If there is agreement, document it and use it in the map and even write code that depends on it.  We get there, we will better get there as we continue to do these things.

SteveA