[Talk-us] Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in USA

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 22:41:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 4:05 PM OSM Volunteer stevea
<steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
> I'm OK with this as well.  I especially wish to call to the attention to others who may do mechanical wiki edits like this (by Mateusz' good example) that he was careful to:
>
> 1)  Explain the problem; it confuses mappers/map consumers and wiki authors/readers,
> 2)  Offer a polite proposal as well as taking ownership for any potential problems with it,
> 3)  Have wiki-oriented documentation of this (and here is the link),
> 4)  Say that this was done on a "smaller" (though still countrywide!) scale, and it worked.
>
> Outstanding!  Thank you, Mateusz for your example of wiki, talk page and community communication.  OSM has every reason to support such excellent suggestions/proposals.

I'll echo Steve.  It's a sound idea, it's well explained, it's well
documented, it's well executed on a pilot scale, and there's a
convincing plan for scaling it to the full planet without choking the
servers. Let's make it happen!

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin