[Talk-us] US Bureau of Land Management Boundaries

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:43:27 UTC 2019

Absolutely agree with your assessment of the management style of the BLM,
Michael. In Alaska, BLM land is literally crisscrossed with ATV trails.
It's a travesty but there's nobody around to enforce the rules and the
amount of land under BLM's "care" is truly humongous. Unmanageable, even
without a government shutdown.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:05 AM Michael Patrick <geodesy99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Joseph,   I'm not stuck on class 27, but as you say, that fits the
>> definition on the wiki.   I should probably look for other specific
>> protection in the attributes and translate that somehow.   Mostly it's just
>> grazing and recreation land.   Anything such as wilderness or monument
>> would definitely be tagged as such.
>>

> "Multiple uses under BLM management include renewable energy development
> (solar, wind, other); conventional energy development (oil and gas, coal);
> livestock grazing; hardrock mining (gold, silver, other), timber
> harvesting; and outdoor recreation (such as camping, hunting, rafting, and
> off-highway vehicle driving). ... 36 million-acre system of National
> Conservation Lands (including wilderness areas, wilderness study areas,
> national monuments, national conservation areas, historic trails, and wild
> and scenic rivers); protecting wild horse and burro rangeland; conserving
> wildlife, fish, and plant habitat"
>
> Also agriculture. Burning Man's Black Rock City is leased from BLM under
> an Special Recreation Permit (SRP). ... " crop harvesting, residential
> occupancy, recreation facilities, construction equipment storage, assembly
> yards, well pumps, and other uses." So, even though it might be BLM, it
> could also be under a 50 year lease to a commercial entity, so for all
> intents and purposes be regarded as private property - like massive solar (
> 19 million acres  ) and wind ( 20 million acres  ) energy farms. I seem to
> recall a Nevada brothel was at one time operating on BLM land with a lease
> and permit - pretty much, as long as you don't leave the land damaged and
> it doesn't interfere with other planned uses, you can get a lease.
>
> Just saying, one class isn't going to do it. Mostly, 'exploited', not
> 'protected'.
>
> Michael Patrick
> Data Ferret

Dave Swarthout