[Talk-us] Road name update challenges

Aaron Forsythe idnwys at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:09:22 UTC 2019

These are all just my opinions, so don't take as fact.  I could be wrong.

>> 1. Original TIGER had Ruppe Dr at a nearby but incorrect location.

This seems a common enough occurrence that a TIGER data should not be used as permanent source.  It's only there to get the map started and adjustments from TIGER are required.

>> 2. Updated TIGER caught Ruppe Dr at the correct location, but introduced
a typo when entered: Tuppe instead of Ruppe, and didn't remove or just
move the original Ruppe Dr.

If we have verifiable data that Ruppe Drive is correct and Tuppe Drive is wrong, then Ruppe Drive should be used.  I'm not against putting Tuppe Drive in alt_name just in case.

>> 5. A second update was applied using older / wrong TIGER data.
Neither noticed the wrong duplicate Ruppe Drive that ran through a house.

If newer, verifiable data shows this (obvious from aerial maps taken after the TIGER data, or BOTG survey) then it should be removed.

>> The wrong Tuppe Drive still has a "source" tag which is now misleading.

It's not really misleading, as that is still where it came from.

>> We were able to get a local GIS to release data to OSM.  In analyzing
the data, I notice that address tags are much more carefully updated
than road names.   So I could create a local project to correct some
local roads based on corrections from the address data.   I hesitate
because then those changes will be reverted when they don't match TIGER.

Usually, at least around here, addresses have the correct street names.  Street signs are sometimes wrong, especially if it will save a few dollars.  Quite common for older street signs to leave out spaces in the name, leave off the Dr/St/Ave, or leave off East/West/North/South just to save money with a shorter sign.

If the correct name includes the shorter name, I only put the correct name.  If it has spaced removed, like River Bend becoming Riverbend, then I put one in alt_name.

>> 2.)  Just as if I surveyed the name on a street sign and was able to
confirm it with public records, how would I detect / prevent loss of
work when it mismatches our other public sources for several years?

Use the source tag and include a date of the survey.  This won’t directly stop an overwrite, but will at least give a date to compare against.

It seems the whole issue stems from an automatic edit without proper integration.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct