[Talk-us] armchair mappers putting errors back into the map

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 21:30:31 UTC 2019

> Also for me - in my opinion it is not a hack, it is a well working
solution.

I want to use this exact info to figure out which areas need more mapping
of sidewalks - and I plan to do so eventually. But it's not easy!

Here's a friendly and annoying challenge: tell me which sidewalks need to
be mapped (because they are separate geometries, I mean highway=footway,
footway=sidewalk) in Graz, Austria. We will ignore thinking about stale
road way information. Use any tools you'd like! Graz is very well-mapped
and was chosen to be, theoretically, one of the easier places from which to
ask this question.

As an example, I've written up the overpass queries to get the appropriate
street ways, but now we have to find the separate geometries - that's no
fun for anyone, and especially not non-experts trying to find things to
map. This will pop up any time a feature requires a separate geometry but
its presence/absence would be expected by context. Another example is
street crossings: sometimes it's illegal or dangerous to cross a street
somewhere, but there's no tag for creating a crossing way that shouldn't be
used (and the idea of drawing nonexistent things ostensibly violates best
practices in tagging). How do we know a street crossing doesn't exist /
should not exist vs. someone forgot to map it? It'd be nice to have a
strategy for "I reviewed this area and the thing you think should exist at
this exact place, does not".