[Talk-us] armchair mappers putting errors back into the map

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 21:39:35 UTC 2019

Absolutely! I may have miscommunicated.

I want the exact same thing: for it to be easier to tag "missing"
infrastructure.

I'm just remembering my many attempts to evaluate sidewalk network
completeness (that's highway=footway objects), and it's not easy. But I
don't want to launch another discussion about pedestrian tagging standard!
I'm just saying that having a dedicated way or point that says, "this thing
does not exist here" can be useful, but there are no current standards for
doing so that I'm aware of.

It's subtle: sidewalk=no/none on a road says, "this road does not have
sidewalks", whereas a dedicated way for a sidewalk (footway=sidewalk) that
said, "this sidewalk does not exist" displaces the expected location of a
sidewalk. The latter has its own (big) issues, but I think the problem is
worth exploring. For the sidewalk case: how can we related metadata of one
thing (in this case, a street) to another (a sidewalk) help mappers create
consistent and accurate data? For the nonexistent street case: how can we
specify that this piece of infrastructure does *not* exist when there is no
metadata from which to guess (as we had in the case of sidewalks) and the
current appropriate schema is, "this is a blank area of the map with no
data".