[Talk-us] Hello World!

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Mar 7 15:41:59 UTC 2019

Wesley,
Welcome to OSM. It nice to seem someone from a local GIS community
contribute. I don't know of other mappers in your area, I'm in the PNW, but
I can suggest looking at http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/oooc to see who
maps around the area. Besides this mailing list we also have an active
Slack community which you can join at https://slack.openstreetmap.us/. I
should also plug attending our annual conference. This year it is being
held in Minneapolis from Sep. 6-8th. You could hop on I35 and drive all the
way there.

ESRI does have an editor for OSM, but we don't see many edits using it. Two
of the most popular editors are iD, a browser based editor and JOSM a stand
alone editor written in java. iD does have a nice walk though feature to
help you get started. Both editors are access to all of our imagery.
Besides Bing, we have Digital Globe, Mapbox and ESRI. JOSM has the ability
to load shapefiles which can be used to trace features or copy/paste them
into the OSM layer. Note that we have guidelines that need to be followed
if you wish to import (copy/paste) a large number of items.

Best,
Clifford