[Talk-us] Michigan Forest Land

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Mar 7 17:56:52 UTC 2019

David,
Thanks for asking on the talk-us mailing list before importing the data.
Guidelines for importing data into OSM are available at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines. Please read the
guidelines before proceeding. Basically the guideline want to insure that
the data is licensed suitably for import into OSM, that the data is
suitable for OSM, how you plan to convert between the states tagging to OSM
tagging, conflating the data with what's already in OSM, and what account
you plan to use to upload the data. A quick look at the states site it
would appear that there is no license issue and the data seems suitable for
import. Especially the state parks and wildlife preserves.

The best editor I've found for this type of import is JOSM [1]. It sounds
like you may not be familiar with JOSM. You can get help at Learnosm.org
[2].

I would recommend getting started by doing some edits in JOSM before
tackling this project.

[1]. josm.openstreetmap.de
[2]. https://learnosm.org/en/josm/

Best,
Clifford

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 8:57 AM David Martin <gs400dave at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to editing OSM, having been a heavy user of OSMAnd for Android for
> several years.  I primarily use the maps for snowmobiling here in Northern
> Michigan, and building my own database of gpx tracks.
>
> The Michigan maps are lacking the information for state forest land.  I
> have noted that the Upper Peninsula does have some state and national
> forest areas, but there is much missing here in the Lower Peninsula.
>
> I have found the data on the State of Michigan website, and have
> successfully downloaded the shapefile for all state forest land.
>
> I would like to proceed with adding this data to OSM, with the help of
> experienced editors.
>
> This is public data, available at
> http://gis-michigan.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/dfe0bcec31184b57b9f0d96bc02d6548_1
>
> This is high-value data for all OSM users in Michigan, to understand when
> they are public land and help prevent trespassing onto private land.  I
> often have to switch over to Google Maps to see if I am on state land.
>
> Please advise as to how I may proceed.
>
> Thanks,
> David Martin

@osm_seattle