[Talk-us] motel vs. hotel

Bryan Housel bhousel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 02:54:28 UTC 2019

Good question!
As others have said - hotels have rooms that open indoors, motels have rooms that open outdoors.  That’s the only difference.

I did a bit of research on this last year for https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index <https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index> because we are using this project to capture the recommended tagging for all the brands of the world.

Check out the hotel/motel files here if you are curious!
https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index/tree/master/brands/tourism <https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index/tree/master/brands/tourism>

For example:
Super 8 is almost always tagged as `tourism=motel`, and Travelodge is almost always tagged as `tourism=hotel`, even though both brands often exist in either kind of building.

I think this is one of those tags where it really doesn’t matter much which one people use.

Bryan