[Talk-us] Spot elevations collected as natural=peak and name=Point (height in feet)

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 04:00:23 UTC 2019

Natural=peak must be a local high point, so it has to be at least a
few meters higher than the surrounding land. A natural=peak does not
have to be the highest point of a mountain, but it has to have some
topographical prominence. Not all spot elevations on USGS are of
peaks, some are just a visually prominent part of a ridge, and other
are saddles.

In October 2018 there was a suggestion to use the value "promontory"
for points that are not peaks, for example a prominent shoulder of a
mountain or the end of a ridge. Thus natural=promontory could work,
along with ele=* and name=* for some of these features.

Wikipedia definition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promontory

Link to previous discussion:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-October/039659.html