[Talk-us] Michigan Forest Land

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 02:28:45 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:31 AM Marcus W. Davenport
<mwdav at alumni.nmu.edu> wrote:
> I'm a decently experienced mapper from the Lansing and Hillsdale, MI areas and noticed the same issues with state owned land in OSM.  I've been using State of Michigan data to draw and maintain the two State Game Area's that I hike regularly: the Portland State Game Area (on the Grand River just south of Portland) and the Lost Nations State Game Area (just south of Pittsford; sometimes known as "Pittsford State Game Area").
> One issue I've found with the State Forest Compartments shapefile that was originally linked is that JOSM does not seem to import this file with the metadata required to make any addition without local knowledge. Other State of Michigan shapefiles will open names and superfluous data as keys and values, but his shapefile appears to be outlines only.
> Also, it's my understanding that SGA's and forests would be either "protect_class" = 4 or 5 (depending on whether the enclosed species or landscape are of greater importance).  That is solely my interpretation based on reading https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area.

I downloaded the data set and queried it with GDAL, and what I see is:

INFO: Open of `Michigan_State_Forest_Compartments/Michigan_State_Forest_Compartments.shp'
      using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.

Layer name: Michigan_State_Forest_Compartments
Geometry: Polygon
Feature Count: 2462
Extent: (-90.057938, 41.732556) - (-82.486685, 47.475682)
Layer SRS WKT:
GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS_84",6378137,298.257223563]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
    UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]
OBJECTID: Integer64 (10.0)
OBJECTID_1: Integer64 (10.0)
MANAGMENTT: String (80.0)
Management: String (80.0)
UNIT_NAME: String (80.0)
FC_key: String (80.0)
COUNTY: String (80.0)
YOE: String (80.0)
Acres: Real (24.15)
ROD_URL: String (113.0)
DDLat: Real (24.15)
DDLon: Real (24.15)
Shape__Are: Real (24.15)
Shape__Len: Real (24.15)

which looks as if all the columns that are listed in the metadata are
there. I also successfully pushed it into my PostGIS instance:

$ ogr2ogr -progress -overwrite -t_srs EPSG:3857 -f PostgreSQL
PG:dbname=gis Michigan_State_Forest_Compartments/Michigan_State_Forest_Compartments.shp
-nln Michigan_State_Forest_Compartments -nlt MULTIPOLYGON -lco
'precision=NO'
0...10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90...100 - done.

Would the information in 'MANAGMENTT' (spelt thus!) be sufficient to
assign the protect_class? The enumerated values are:

gis=# select distinct managmentt from michigan_state_forest_compartments \g
  managmentt
---------------
 State Parks
 State Forests
 Wildlife
(3 rows)

That seems to distinguish State Forests from Wildlife Management Areas
(or whatever the correct term is in Michigan).

The name of the facility appears to be in the MANAGEMENT column.  Most
of the 'Wildlife' compartments and all of the 'State Parks'
compartments have this field either null, blank, or 'Unspecified'.
Virtually all the values of 'Management' have multiple compartments -
'AuSable Outwash' has no fewer than 88. We'd want to work on
coalescing these, and I *think* they should merge cleanly if we do it
in PostGIS.

I suspect that the following columns could be safely ignored for State Forests:
UNIT_NAME - Appears to be the name of the office that manages a
parcel. Some forests appear to be split among multiple units. For
State Parks and Wildlife Areas, this is the name of the facility.
FC_Key - Some sort of record ID, most likely better ignored.
County - We already have administrative boundaries in OSM, no need to
replicate this.
YOE - 'Year of Entry'. This can be either past or future, and I
suspect is a historic or projected entry by a forestry crew to study
the plot and plan any timber harvest. This is specific to individual
compartments and would work against coalescing them, and I think it's
information that OSM wouldn't care about.
Acres, DDLat, DDLon, Shape__ARE, Shape__LEN - Redundant, easily
computed from geometry.
ROD_URL - Appears to be a link to a report on the status of the
parcel. Many of the links are dead. I suppose we could include this,
but I'd sure like to know what ROD stands for!

A quick attempt to query for the state forests gives me:

gis=# select managmentt, management, count(1) from
michigan_state_forest_compartments group by managmentt, management
order by management asc \g
  managmentt   |            management            | count
---------------+----------------------------------+-------
 State Forests | 8 Mile Corner                    |    12
 State Forests | Alpena Lake Plain                |    44
 State Forests | Amasa Plains                     |     6
 State Forests | AuSable Outwash                  |    88
 State Forests | Avery Hills                      |    25
 State Forests | Baraga Plains                    |     5
 State Forests | Battydoe Deer Yard               |     9
 State Forests | Benzie Moraines                  |    10
 State Forests | Benzie Outwash                   |    20
 State Forests | Boardman Plains                  |    29
 State Forests | Brampton Lake Plain              |     3
 State Forests | Brule-Iron River Tracts          |     3
 State Forests | Bullock Ranch                    |    14
 State Forests | Camp Grayling                    |    58
 State Forests | Carp River Red Pine              |    11
 State Forests | Cassidy Creek                    |    20
 State Forests | Central Houghton                 |    32
 State Forests | Central Keweenaw                 |     4
 State Forests | Chain Lakes Moraine              |    64
 State Forests | Chandler Hills                   |    32
 State Forests | Charcoal Grade                   |     8
 State Forests | Chatham-Autrain Moraines         |    11
 State Forests | Cheboygan Basin Moraines         |    25
 State Forests | Cheboygan Lake Plain             |    35
 State Forests | County Line Hardwoods            |    14
 State Forests | Covington-Ned Lake               |    12
 State Forests | Cusino Complex                   |    30
 State Forests | Cyr Swamp                        |     4
 State Forests | Danaher Kingston Outwash         |    24
 State Forests | Dead Horse Moraines              |    62
 State Forests | Deer Park                        |    42
 State Forests | Drummond Island                  |    16
 State Forests | Emmet Moraines                   |    21
 State Forests | Evart Block                      |    10
 State Forests | Floodwood Plains                 |     5
 State Forests | Fourteen Mile Point Lake Plain   |     2
 State Forests | Fox River Complex                |    12
 State Forests | Garden Thompson Plains           |    15
 State Forests | Gladwin Lake Plain               |    27
 State Forests | Gogomain                         |     4
 State Forests | Grayling Ice Contact             |    35
 State Forests | Grayling Outwash                 |    31
 Wildlife      | Great Lakes Islands - NLP        |     5
 State Forests | Great Lakes Islands - NLP        |    15
 State Forests | Green Bay Lake Plain             |    45
 State Forests | Groveland                        |    20
 State Forests | Hammond Bay Lake Plain           |    25
 State Forests | Hiawatha Moraine                 |     9
 State Forests | Houghton Lake Wetlands           |    24
 State Forests | Huron Mountains                  |     8
 State Forests | Huron Patterned Outcrop          |    14
 State Forests | Jordan Valley                    |    18
 State Forests | Keweenaw Tip                     |     3
 State Forests | Kincheloe Highlands              |     4
 State Forests | Kinross Bog                      |     6
 State Forests | Kirtland's Warbler               |    58
State Forests | Lake County Moraines             |     9
 State Forests | Lake County Outwash              |    17
 State Forests | Lake Michigan Shoreline          |    24
 State Forests | Mackinac Mix                     |    35
 State Forests | Mackinaw Lake Plain              |    19
 State Forests | Manistee Plains                  |    13
 State Forests | Manistee River Valley            |    50
 State Forests | Maxton Plains                    |     2
 State Forests | Menge Creek                      |     4
 State Forests | Menominee End Moraine            |    23
 State Forests | Michigamme Reservoir             |    28
 State Forests | Midland-Isabella                 |    12
 State Forests | Milakokia Lake                   |     8
 State Forests | Munuscong Bay                    |     8
 State Forests | Nathan-Banat Moraines            |     9
 State Forests | Net River                        |    13
 State Forests | North Menominee Moraines         |    12
 State Forests | North Rudyard                    |     4
 State Forests | Norwich Plain                    |     3
 State Forests | Ogemaw Hills                     |    27
 State Forests | Palmer Moraine                   |     5
 State Forests | Panola Plains                    |    13
 State Forests | Peavy Moraine                    |     7
 State Forests | Peshekee Highlands               |    15
 State Forests | Pictured Rocks Buffer            |    12
 State Forests | Pigeon River Country             |    61
 State Forests | Ralph Ground Moraine             |    91
 State Forests | Rattlesnake Hills                |    19
 State Forests | Sage Truck Trail                 |    16
 State Forests | Sand River Lake Plain            |    14
 State Forests | Sands Plains                     |     5
 State Forests | Seney Manistique Swamp           |    72
 State Forests | Strickler Aspen                  |     8
 State Forests | Sturgeon Sloughs                 |     4
 State Forests | Summer Islands                   |     1
 State Forests | Tahquamenon Basin Wetlands       |    26
 State Forests | Tahquamenon River Patterned Fens |     7
 State Forests | Thunder Bay Outwash              |    33
 State Forests | Two Hearted Headwaters           |     6
 State Parks   | Unspecified                      |   123
 Wildlife      | Unspecified                      |   120
 State Forests | Upper Muskegon                   |    78
 Wildlife      | Upper Muskegon                   |     1
 State Forests | Voelker Plains                   |    12
 State Forests | Waishkey Bay                     |     2
 State Forests | Whitefish Vermillion Point       |    19
 State Forests | Williamsburg Moraine             |     8
 State Forests | Wurtsmith                        |    10
 State Forests | Yellowdog Plains                 |     4
 Wildlife      |                                  |   122
 State Forests |                                  |     1
 State Parks   |                                  |    39

The State Parks/Scenic Sites/State Reccreation Areas/State Historic
Parks, appear to have their names in 'Unit_Name'. We'd want to expand
the abbreviations, SP, SRA, etc.

gis=# select unit_name, count(1) from
michigan_state_forest_compartments where managmentt = 'State Parks'
group by unit_name order by unit_name \g
                unit_name                | count
-----------------------------------------+-------
 Agate Falls Scenic Site                 |     1
 Algonac SP                              |     1
 Aloha SP                                |     1
 Bald Mountain SRA                       |     1
 Baraga SP                               |     1
 Bass River SRA                          |     2
 Bay City SRA                            |     1
 Belle Isle SP                           |     1
 Bewabic SP                              |     1
 Bond Falls Scenic Site                  |     1
 Brighton SRA                            |     4
 Brimley SP                              |     1
 Burt Lake SP                            |     1
 Cambridge State Historic Park           |     1
 Charters Traverse City SP               |     1
 Cheboygan SP                            |     1
 Clear Lake SP                           |     1
 Coldwater SP                            |     1
 Craig Lake SP                           |     6
 Dodge #4 SP                             |     1
 Duck Lake SP                            |     1
 Fayette Historic SP                     |     2
 Fishermans Island SP                    |     1
 Fort Custer SRA                         |     2
 Fort Wilkins Historic SP                |     1
 Grand Haven SP                          |     1
 Grand Mere SP                           |     1
 Harrisville SP                          |     1
 Hartwick Pines SP                       |     3
 Hayes SP                                |     4
 Highland SRA                            |     1
 Hoeft SP                                |     1
 Hoffmaster SP                           |     2
 Holland SP                              |     1
 Holly SRA                               |     7
 Indian Lake SP                          |     1
 Interlochen SP                          |     1
 Ionia SRA                               |     3
 Island Lake SRA                         |     5
 Lake Gogebic SP                         |     1
 Lake Hudson SRA                         |     3
 Lakeport SP                             |     1
 Laughing Whitefish Falls SP             |     1
 Leelanau SP                             |     2
 Lime Island SRA                         |     1
 Ludington SP                            |     3
 Maybury SP                              |     1
 McLain SP                               |     1
 Mears SP                                |     1
 Menominee River SRA                     |     5
 Meridian-Baseline Historic SP           |     2
 Metamora-Hadley SRA                     |     1
 Milliken SP & Harbor                    |     1
 Mitchell SP                             |     1
 Muskallonge Lake SP                     |     1
 Muskegon SP                             |     1
 Negwegon SP                             |     2
 Newaygo SP                              |     1
 North Higgins Lake SP                   |     1
 Old Mission Peninsula SP                |     1
 Onaway SP                               |     1
 Orchard Beach SP                        |     1
 Ortonville SRA                          |     2
 Otsego Lake SP                          |     1
 Palms Book SP                           |     1
 Petoskey SP                             |     1
 Pinckney SRA                            |     2
 Pontiac Lake SRA                        |     1
 Porcupine Mountains Wilderness SP       |     6
 Port Crescent SP                        |     1
 Proud Lake SRA                          |     1
 Rifle River SRA                         |     1
 Rockport SRA                            |     2
 Sanilac Petroglyphs State Historic Park |     1
 Saugatuck Dunes SP                      |     1
 Seven Lakes SP                          |     1
 Silver Lake SP                          |     1
 Sleeper SP                              |     1
 Sleepy Hollow SP                        |     1
 South Higgins Lake SP                   |     1
 Sterling SP                             |     1
 Straits SP                              |     1
 Sturgeon Point SP                       |     1
 Tahquamenon Falls SP                    |     2
 Tawas Point SP                          |     1
 Thompsons Harbor SP                     |     1
 Tippy Dam SRA                           |     1
 Twin Lakes SP                           |     1
 Van Buren SP                            |     1
 Van Riper SP                            |     1
 Wagner Falls Scenic Site                |     1
 Warren Dunes SP                         |     1
 Warren Woods SP                         |     1
 Waterloo SRA                            |    11
 Wells SP                                |     1
 Wetzel SRA                              |     1
 Wilderness SP                           |     1
 Wilson SP                               |     1
 Yankee Springs SRA                      |     4
 Young SP                                |     1
(100 rows)

and so do the State Game Areas/State Fish and WIldlife Areas/State
Wildlife Areas - again, we'd want to expand abbreviations:

gis=# select unit_name, count(1) from
michigan_state_forest_compartments where managmentt = 'Wildlife' group
by unit_name order by unit_name \g
              unit_name               | count
--------------------------------------+-------
 Adams Twp. SGA                       |     1
 Allegan SGA                          |    25
 Almer Twp. SGA                       |     1
 Augusta Creek SFWA                   |     1
 Barry SGA                            |     8
 Betsie River SGA                     |     1
 Blendon Twp. SGA                     |     1
 Boyle Lake SWA                       |     1
 Brownstown Prairie SWA               |     1
 Cannonsburg SGA                      |     1
 Cass City SGA                        |     1
 Charlotte (Eaton Twp.) SGA           |     1
 Chelsea SGA                          |     1
 Chesterfield Twp. SGA                |     1
 Columbia Twp. SGA                    |     1
 Crane Pond SGA                       |     1
 Crow Island SGA                      |     2
 Cusino SWRA                          |     1
 Dansville SGA                        |     2
 Davisburg SGA                        |     1
 Deford SGA                           |     2
 Denmark Twp. SGA                     |     1
 Edmore SGA                           |     4
 Elmwood Twp. SGA                     |     1
 Erie SGA                             |     1
 Fabius SGA                           |     1
 Fish Point SWA                       |     1
 Flat River SGA                       |     5
 Flynn SGA                            |     1
 Fox Islands                          |     5
 Fraser Twp. No.2 (Kitchen Rd.) SGA   |     1
 Fuller Woods SGA                     |     1
 Fulton SGA                           |     1
 Gagetown SGA                         |     4
 Gale Road Grand River SGA            |     1
 Gladwin SGA                          |     1
 Goose Lake SGA                       |     1
 Gourdneck SGA                        |     4
 Grand Haven SGA                      |     1
 Grand River SGA                      |     1
 Grass Lake SGA                       |     1
 Gratiot-Saginaw SGA                  |     8
 Gregory SGA                          |     2
 Haymarsh Lake SGA                    |     8
 Hillcrest SGA                        |     1
 Horseshoe Lake SGA                   |     1
 Keeler SGA                           |     1
 Lake Interstate SGA                  |     1
 Langston SGA                         |     2
 Lapeer SGA                           |     5
 Leidy Lake SGA                       |     1
 Lost Nation SGA                      |     3
 Manistee SGA                         |     2
 Maple River SGA                      |     5
 Martiny Lake SGA                     |     8
 Middleville SGA                      |     1
 Middleville SGA                      |     1
 Minden City SGA                      |     1
 Murphy Lake SGA                      |     2
 Muskegon SGA                         |    12
 Muskrat Lake SGA                     |     1
 Nayanquing Point SWA                 |     2
 Oak Grove SGA                        |     1
 Oliver Twp. SGA                      |     1
 Olive Twp. SGA                       |     1
 Onsted SGA                           |     1
 Pentwater River SGA                  |     3
 Pere Marquette SGA                   |     1
 Petersburg SGA                       |     1
 Petobego SGA                         |     1
 Pinconning Twp. (Cody-Esty Rd.) SGA  |     1
 Point Aux Peaux SWA                  |     1
 Point Mouille SGA                    |     8
 Port Huron SGA                       |     3
 Portland SGA                         |     3
 Quanicassee SWA                      |     2
 Rogue River SGA                      |     6
 Rose Lake SWA                        |     3
 Rush Lake SGA                        |     1
 Salt River Marsh SWA                 |     1
 Saranac-Lowell SGA                   |     3
 Sharonville SGA                      |     3
 Shiawassee River SGA                 |     9
 Somerset SGA                         |     1
 Spring Creek SGA                     |     1
 Stanton SGA                          |     4
 St. Clair Flats SWA                  |     2
 St. Clair Twp. SGA                   |     1
 St. John's Marsh SWA                 |     1
 Tamarack Lake SGA                    |     1
 Three Rivers SGA                     |     2
 Tuscola SGA                          |     4
 Vassar SGA                           |     6
 Verona SGA                           |     1
 Vestaburg SGA                        |     3
 Webster Lake (Berrien Twp No. 1) SGA |     1
 Wigwam Bay SWA                       |     1
 Wildfowl Bay SWA                     |     2
 Windsor Township SGA                 |     1
                                      |     3
(99 rows)

(We'd need to see what the three nameless ones are.)

So on the whole it's looking to me as if we could at least get
boundary=protected_area name=* operator=* protect_class=*
protection_title=* leisure=nature_reserve and probably some access
information - if the answers to my earlier questions are all
satisfactory.

I have neither the time nor the local knowledge to execute the import,
but I can probably help with the programming - I've gotten fairly good
at whacking up scripts for this sort of thing. Of course, actually
doing the conflation isn't a job for a newbie!

I'll let the locals decide where to take it from here. Let me know how
I can help, bearing in mind my lack of local knowledge.