[Talk-us] Proposed mechanical edit - remove objects that are not existing according to source of GNIS import that added them

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Thu Mar 21 03:46:59 UTC 2019

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 9:01 AM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:
>
> I plan to run an automated edit that will revert part of the GNIS
> import that added them and delete objects that never had any reason to
> appear in the OSM database in any form, at least according to GNIS data.
>
> Please comment no matter what you think about this idea! I will not
> make the edit without a clear support so please comment if you think
> that it is a good idea and if you think that it should not be done.

Thanks for bringing the idea up. It actually did come up fairly recently on Slack https://osmus.slack.com/archives/C029HV951/p1550176430103000

My view is that we would be missing an opportunity to have mappers review these locations and update the areas concerned. These nodes exist mostly in ‘undermapped' / remote areas that could use some human mapper attention. So I’d be in favor of trying to resolve this using some human driven cleanup first.

Martijn