[Talk-us] Proposed mechanical edit - remove objects that are not existing according to source of GNIS import that added them

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu Mar 21 10:17:46 UTC 2019

On 3/21/2019 3:04 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> What is the benefit, during survey, of mapped places that are not
> existing anymore?
>
> I encounter many during surveys (usually result of data getting
> outdated) and for me it was
> always time sink (as I needed to check is it actually gone) and never
> useful in any way.
>
> Note that it is not obvious, especially for beginner or data users, that
> all of this places
> are not existing anymore.

  This has been my experience as well when methodically reviewing
several hundred GNIS nodes around here.   Everyone is fond of pointing
out where GNIS is poorly located or out of date, but every GNIS object
identified as (historical) was 100% accurate.   Let's reserve mapper
labor and MapRoulette projects for those that benefit from human review.
  This project would qualify for automated intervention.