[Talk-us] Ashuwillticook Rail Trail in Massachusetts

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri May 3 14:04:29 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 3, 2019, 08:47 OSM Volunteer stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com>
wrote:

> Does anybody local-to-Massachusetts know if the Ashuwillticook Rail Trail
> (ART, in Adams) exists (in real life) north of Hoosac Street?  It both does
> exist in real life and in OSM south of Hoosac Street, but while the
> railtrail "area" is entered in OSM as a leisure=recreation_ground, there is
> no highway=cycleway through there north of Hoosac.

The MassDOT blog reports the railtrail was extended north from Hoosac St to
Lime St in 2017.

"Ashuwillticook Rail Trail Section Open, Trail Now 12.2 Miles | MassDOT
Blog"
https://blog.mass.gov/transportation/uncategorized/ashuwillticook-rail-trail-final-section-open-trail-now-12-2-miles/

Alas the DCR (parks and rec) trail page still reports the original length,
hasn't updated the trail map since 2012, so no armchair information if the
northern 1.2 miles extension is same 10' paved width filling the ROW as the
original or not.

(Reported lengths 11.2+1.2=12.2 doesn't quite add up exactly either?)

(I'm at the coastal urban near end of Mass, No.Adams is far end, not
heading that way soon alas.)

// Bill in Boston