[Talk-us] Taking a break and a call for help

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Fri Mar 20 23:55:08 UTC 2020

On 3/20/20 6:42 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> More constructively, let me deconstruct what I think needs to happen
> with Amazon Logistics generally (and can be constructively generalized
> to any other large fleet entities that might consider contributing to
> OSM):  Strongly consider contributing GPX traces from their fleet
> exclusively first, since covering ground with trucks is what they do
> best.  Let the volunteers do the lifting on the cartography if they're
> not going to hire people who are already familiar and involved to do the
> actual mapping.

They also have some sort of imagery they are using for some edits that
they are not letting the rest of us have access to, for whatever reason.
Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if Amazon would rather make their own
proprietary maps, and if so, whether they should be invited to do so.

Until I pointed out they deleted an address interpolation way by
mistake, one of the mappers covering Houston apparently had no idea what
an address interpolation way even was (iD doesn't really help here, as
it doesn't render them distinctively like JOSM).

[from prior message at 6:07 PM]
> I'm taking a step back from being the primary editor in the Oklahoma region until this passes.

I can do some additional armchair mapping in greater Tulsa and OKC,
since I'm only making necessary trips, mostly to the same locations and
thus getting a very limited amount of new data for Houston. Feel free to
let me know off-list of any "gotchas" for mapping Oklahoma.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com