[Talk-us] Rewriting route direction documentation to emphasize subrelations

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sun Jul 25 00:55:21 UTC 2021

Back in 2013, a discussion on this list [1] led to a wiki article
documenting how to indicate the cardinal direction along a route, such
as the "north" in northbound I-75. [2] I've drafted a rewrite of this
article at [3] and would like to get the community's feedback on it
before touching the original, which has often come up in discussion. The
rewrite attempts to clearly explain route directions for both domestic
and international audiences. These days, overseas mappers are very
active in navigation mapping, and route directions are also relevant to
some non-English-speaking regions.

According to the original documentation, setting relation roles to
cardinal directions is preferred over creating a separate relation for
each direction and setting direction=* to the cardinal direction (and
joining the relations in a superrelation). The rewrite reverses this
guidance, placing more emphasis on subrelations and superrelations than
relation roles.

The directional roles have had the advantage of being easier to
introduce than superrelations, especially for routes that only
occasionally run along divided highways. That was important early on,
when route relations were first being built out. However, it has tended
to result in routes that are only partly tagged with cardinal
directions, requiring data consumers to infer the cardinal direction
along ways with forward, backward, or unset roles. Additionally, editors
and quality assurance tools have not added specialized support for these
roles as they have for forward/backward, so existing coverage has been
fragile.

Although subrelations and superrelations are initially more difficult to
create, they are easier to maintain in the long run and are already
well-established for major road routes as well as public transportation
routes. I see them as part of a natural progression in OSM towards
greater detail, coverage, and structure.

This would only be a rewrite of documentation. I'm not proposing an
effort to systematically restructure existing route relations into
subrelations and superrelations. However, this documentation would
better support mappers who are interested in carrying out such
improvements themselves. Thanks for your attention.

[1]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2013-November/thread.html#12165
[2]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Directions_In_The_United_States