[OSM-Talk-ZA] Data logger recommendations please

Heinz Meulke heinz.meulke at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 12:39:08 BST 2009

Generally whenever I drive somewhere I take a laptop along (with 3G) and
download from my Etrex garmin every +- 600km (with the most detailed
logging).

I have an upcoming trip through Mozambique (in about a month) that will last
about 10 days, and I will not have any power, so the laptop is likely to run
out of battery power (and it is a huge thing to lug around) so I am looking
for something that could record all points, and save them without any drama.
Something with detailed logging, good enough for nice detailed maps.

So thanks Nic I might take you up on the offer.

Regards
Heinz

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Heinz,
>
> I'm very happy with my 2 WinCE based GPSs (Telefunken and JNC) with my
> gosmore software. They record to SD card, so they're unlimited. And you can
> view, route, search and perform basic editing. Major retailers (Pick 'n Pay)
> no longer stock these units, but you can find one through junk mail or
> bidorbuy (+- R1000). They all have builtin Lithium Ion batteries that will
> last a few hours and can be charged from USB or from a car. You can borrow
> my Telefunken if you like. It has experienced a lot of wear and tear, but is
> still fully functional. I have an external antenna for it with a long lead,
> but I've never even thought of using it.
>
> I received a Gecko 201 from the Foundation. It also has a limit of 10k
> points but the logging frequency can be reduced. It's quite small and runs
> from AAA batteries, so it's nice for hiking trips. Generating routes for it
> with yournavigation takes a bit of work, but is great for cycling. (It's a
> pity you didn't ask before SotM...)
>
> Regards,
> Nic
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Heinz Meulke <heinz.meulke at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I currently have a Garmin Extrex GPS.... and I am always keen to log trips
>> wherever I drive, but it only keeps 9999 points and I frequently manage to
>> fill it up.
>>
>> I need something that can record lots(unlimited) points. So should I
>> travel for 2 weeks I do not need to frequently stop and download tracklogs.
>>
>> Any recommendations? What do other people use?
>> There are lots of data loggers on the market, but where to start? Any good
>> ones?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Heinz

echo 16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlb xq | dc

question = ( to ) ? be : ! be;
               -- Wm. Shakespeare