[OSM-Talk-ZA] Durban import

Russell Cloran rcloran at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 08:43:48 BST 2009

Hi all,

Great to see the Brainstorm article, good work Heather!

It reminded me that we have some data from eThekwini and I haven't
heard anything from anybody about it in a while. I've just had a look
at the map of Durban, and it seems like someone is doing some
excellent work around the Berea and Sherwood areas.

So, here's the problem...

Yahoo's imagery is a few meters off around Durban. At first I thought
the municipality data was a little off, but then I compared GPS
traces, Yahoo's imagery and the municipality data -- it seems GPS
traces correlate better with the municipality data than the Yahoo
imagery.

I put off working any more on the import as I was a little confused:
If we import the Durban data, we end up with great coverage of many
roads, which is hopefully pretty accurate. Unfortunately, some people
may come along and compare this with the Yahoo imagery, and try to
correct a few roads, landing us with inaccurate data.

How do we proceed?

Unfortunately now instead of only having the Kloof/Gillitts/Pinetown
area to merge, we now have a lot more :(

Cheers,

Russell