[OSM-Talk-ZA] Local Mapping Parties

Trevor Hughes trev at fol.org.za
Fri Jul 17 13:15:23 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Grant
Slater<openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest any venues for a mapping party?
>
> - Maybe near Bloubergstrand in Cape Town?
> - Somewhere in Gauteng?
> - Elsewhere?

Great Idea Blouberg and areas sounds fine - maybe also the rapidly
growing  Table view area.

I attended the Houtbay Mapping party when the guys from OSM were out
here for the big FOSS4G conference a while back and it was great fun -
I was one of only three South Africans that day!!!!!!! That out of a
group of twenty or so - all attendees at the conference.

The whole party came back to my restaurant for lunch and to work on
the data collected.

One of the really cool things was the rendered video they made of all
the gps tracks recorded for the day see here for Mikel Marons blog
post on the event and of course it contains the link to the render.

http://brainoff.com/weblog/2008/09/29/1355

Trev