[OSM-Talk-ZA] New Member Intro

Brendan Barrett brendanbarrett at live.co.za
Tue Sep 1 12:53:06 BST 2009

Welcome to OpenStreetMap Zakiyya

I don't map using my phone (it doesn't have a GPS), but there is no reason to loose your maps on your phone.

>From what I understand, there are two ways to map using your phone:

1. Install software on the phone that will help you map while you are using your phone. I know these applications are out there, but haven't used them. Perhaps someone else on the list could explain further.
2. Copy the GPS trace off your phone after your trip, and trace over the GPS trace in one of the mapping applications built for OpenStreetMap on your computer. (I'd recommend this as the easier of the two).

Perhaps another member will step in here and provide more details on mapping with an E71.

I'm not sure how much you know about the project (where all the information is, South African tagging standards etc), but i'm quite happy to help get you on your feet, and i'm sure there are many others here that feel the same.
I suppose the best I can do as a start is paste a few links that can get you started:

Main Wiki Page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

Beginners' Guide
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_Guide

South African Wiki Page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_South_Africa

South African Tagging Standards
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/South_African_Tagging_Guidelines

Mailing Lists - you've already signed up on the South African list, but just so that you are aware of the others:

Editors (Software that we use for editing OpenStreetMap data)
  a.. JOSM ("Java OpenStreetMap Editor") It can take a little while to figure out how to get started with it, but it has a lot of advanced features and plugins.
          http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM

  a.. Merkaartor is easier to get started with and use, but because it's a relatively new editor compared to JOSM, it lacks some of the more advanced features. It should have everything that you need to get going though.
          http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Merkaartor

  a.. Potlach is online editor that you can find on the OpenStreetMap webpage (http://www.openstreetmap.org) when you click on the edit tab. I don't use it, so I can't comment on it much.

Good luck

Regards,