[OSM-Talk-ZA] New Member Intro

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 17:50:02 BST 2009

Hi,

 >On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Zakiyya Ismail<zerebral at gmail.com>
 >wrote:
 >> I’m Zakiyya, living in Featherbrooke/Ruimsig and recently discovered
  >the
 >> openstreetmap project – I think I read about it in the Getaway mag.  >I
 >
 >Welcome :)

Welcome from me too (although I am not a ZA mapper myself living in the UK)

 >> I haven’t actually gotten started, but I have a Nokia E71, and I
need >to
 >> install the necessary software which I am afraid to do since I don’t
 >want to
 >> lose my current GPS maps – it gets me to many places, so any advice
 >in that
 >> regard would be useful.

 >I don't suggest you try any of the OpenStreetMap-based navigation
 >tools on your phone -- in my experience they have not been good
 >quality. Of course, once you get more confident and adventurous with
 >OpenStreetMap, you should try them out!

I would like to respectfully disagree a bit with the conclusion of not
using OpenStreetMap based tools on your phone, although many do indeed
still have more of an experimental feel to them than perhaps some of the
commercial products. The advantages on the other hand can outweigh the
occasional rough edges in my opinion by quite a bit, so I would like to
give you some more information about the available options to let you
choose.

To start with, you can find a good list of available options on the wiki
at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Software/Mobilephones which also
lists the different features each of the programs have.

With the Nokia E71 you should be able to run any of the programs for the
j2me or symbian os platform. As this is still somewhat of an
overwhelming selection, the programs you might want to try depend quite
a bit on what you want to do with your phone and OSM. I would say the
main features upon which to distinguish these are whether you want to
also use OpenStreetMaps, or just record traces; Whether you have cheap
internet available or need an off-line solution and if you want vector
maps, search and routing abilities.

If you only want to record traces and don't want to use OpenStreetMap as
maps on your phone, then Nokia sportstracker may indeed be the best
option. On the other hand, if you do and you have unlimited internet,
then and app like TrackMyJourney which displays OpenStreetMap tiles on
your phone and allows you to do online routing might be quite nice. If
data is expensive however, you could try one of the offline apps such as
GpsMid, which combines the map data with the app and stores it on the
phone. With GpsMid, you can display vector maps, search for roads or
POIs, record tracklogs and waypoints and even do some simple routing
based on OpenStreetMap, all for free. (although your mileage may vary in
the case of routing). All of these programs are fairly simple to try out
and play with (a copy of GpsMid with the ZA data can be found at
http://gpsmid.sourceforge.net/prebuild/ ), so depending how eager you
are, you could just play around with a couple and see how well each
works for you.

As all of these programs are completely separate from the built-in Nokia
Maps, they should not interfere in any way. So if you don't like them or
they don't work for you, you can easily uninstall them again or use
Nokia Maps in parallel.

With OpenStreetMap, everyone can do as much or as little as they want to
or feel comfortable with, but I am sure you will get hooked eventually,
so on that note I wish you a happy mapping!

Kai

P.S. I am one of the authors of GpsMid, so I am naturally biased a bit
on this subject :-) And we do always try to improve the quality where
possible