[OSM-Talk-ZA] Gauteng mapping party - 19 September 2009

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:47:21 BST 2009

I'm building a stand for us at the DST building. I've constructed a 1.4m x
1.4m 49 megapixel colour map of Pretoria out of 49 A4 sheets and tonight I'm
make a 1m x 1m map of Northern Jhb. I'll also have printouts for Cape Town,
Kempton Park, Walking Papers & OSM-3d. The desktop and notebook may be
sightly underpowered but it's OK.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Grant Slater
<openstreetmap at firefishy.com>wrote:

> The tools for keeping an eye on the areas we care about are becoming
> drastically better, and in those very remove cases where things need
> to be reverted we now have the tools. (frederiks revert tools in svn)

This is the worst case :
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/23479923/history

Firstly it does not show up on Ito World because the newbie truncated the
footway to 1 node (repeated 3 times WTF?)
Secondly I don't know how to select a 1 node way with potlatch, so I
extended it with JOSM (which wasn't easy) and then I chose the right version
with Potlatch.

Yes, these two things are becoming easier. But there is a third step that is
much more difficult. How do I know the park hasn't been fenced off recently
? James also changed a footway in the Union Building grounds (gardens),
quite possibly because fences have been erected, but he changed the wrong
one.

I'm just saying that the map is now so complete that South Africans should
become users before they become contributors.