[OSM-Talk-ZA] Road network improvements in South Africa

Andrew Wiseman andrew_wiseman at apple.com
Wed Jan 30 21:23:49 UTC 2019

Hello OSM Turkey,

My name is Andrew Wiseman, I work for Apple on the Maps team. My team is interested in doing some work on the road network in South Africa on OpenStreetMap, things like adding missing roads, making sure roads connect properly, fixing incorrect alignments with GPS traces, ensuring road classifications are consistent, and other similar issues.

Are there places you know of that need improvement or types of problems you see frequently? And are there any imagery sources you'd recommend, any specific highway classification guidelines you recommend such as the general OSM guidelines or maybe the Highway Tag Africa guidelines, or anything else that might help?

We have a Github page here about the project: https://github.com/osmlab/appledata/issues/142

Thank you,

Andrew

Apple, Inc.