[Openstreetmap] How should we draw and update the maps?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Dec 6 21:36:33 GMT 2004

[Schuyler Erle]
> Addendum: The NavSys MapEditor program is tres alpha, and made my X11
> crash *hard*. Recommend we look elsewhere, or (horrors) think about
> building our own Free Software vector drawing app.

If your X server crashes, it is a bug in your X server.  It might also
be a bug in the application triggering the bug in your X server, but
that is a different matter.  I am also unable to run mapeditor, and it
crashes with some strange error.  I've emailed the author to ask about
it.

I will see if he is responsive and fixes the problem before I conclude
that MapEditor is useless.

But I suspect we should look at existing GIS software packages.  I'm
not sure if MapEditor is the correct approach, nor if writing our own
vector drawing app is a useful exercise.

Using qgis and grass with PostGIS might be a sensible approach.