[Openstreetmap] How do we handle large amount of GPS points?

Matt Amos matt at matt-amos.uklinux.net
Mon Dec 13 16:52:18 GMT 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 16:14, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Matt Amos]
>
> > iirc, gpx provides a "bounds" value in the header for precisely
> > this purpose.
>
> Yes.  But my files do not include it.  This is why I would like
> some filter capable of adding the bounding box info to an existing
> GPX file.

ah, i see. i don't imagine this would be particularly difficult,
saving the annoying cases near the poles.

> > i don't think a naming standard is necessary, since we can rename
> > the files at upload-time to whatever we like.
>
> A fairly standardized naming system will make it easier to keep
> file repositories in sync.

if the repository were on the other side of the upload interface (that
is: the server looks after the master repository) then we can impose
any regular naming system we like.

besides which the information in the gpx header should be enough to
make each file unique.

> > but we should definately require the author, copyright and
> > description headers to be present, as this helps us later if
> > someone claims we stole our data from anywhere (a la SCO).
>
> Yes.  Any suggestions to what they should contain?

sticking to the gpx standard:

<... in the metadata section>
<author>
<name>Matt Amos</name>
<email id="matt" domain="matt-amos.uklinux.net />
</author>
<copyright author="Matt Amos">
<year>2004</year>
<license>http://creativecommons.org/license/by/2.0</license>
</copyright>
<...>

and we check that the author name value is the same as the copyright
author attribute, and that the license is an "approved" one, such as
CC, GNU FDL or whatever*. it would be nice to add an extension for
signed data also, but i'm unsure as to how this could be practically
acheived. also, its a bit much to ask participants to have a whole
gpg installation, better to stick with simple file uploads and
click-throughs.

* we could require that these point back to our site, so that we are
100% certain of the text, or to the "source" of the license, such as
the CC.org or gnu.org sites.

** while i support people's rights to choose any license they like the
look of, i think its important that we consider the legal
difficulties of any work derived from a mixture CC-by-SA/ GFDL/
Artistic and other miscellaneous licenses. (Hard Problem)

cya,

matt