[Openstreetmap] Re: How do we handle large amount of GPS points?

Matt Amos matt at matt-amos.uklinux.net
Mon Nov 22 00:58:17 GMT 2004

On Sunday 21 November 2004 17:39, Joachim Mæland wrote:
> My mandatory tools logs GPS positions, timestamp from localhost and
> fix. Limited resources have stopped further enhancements, but my
> wishlist includes: "GPS timestamp, DPOP, HDOP, VDOP and # of active
> satellites. Hopefully this might, together with creative coloring
> and plotting, be used for verifying the accuracy of the dataset.
>
> If you provide a lightweight log_to_file_tool, I'll surely use it
> and look into a plotting system using color to visualice accuracy.

i was thinking the same thing: plot HDOP circles around points and
colour the lines according to "goodness of fix". that could be a very
arbitrary function of number of satellites, fix, etc...

my current thinking is that roads will be plotted on top by a human
operator, but we try and make it as simple as possible for them in
terms of number of buttons pressed/mice dragged to recreate what the
true road structure is.

of course, this isnt necessary for a simple line-based map, but it is
for maps which people would use for navigation. (a lofty goal, but
we're going for it! ;-) )

cya,

matt