[Openstreetmap] Introduction

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.org
Tue Oct 5 11:49:08 BST 2004

Hi Matt,

>the primary form of any GPS data is  going to be the track - raw lat,
>long & time (altitude if we're lucky) which will be uploadable via a
>java web applet and editable straight into the database.
>
>current thinking regarding the actual map is that it won't come
>straight from GPS, rather the track will be used as a sort of
>"sketch" which will then be filled in by the user (or
>already-existing roads selected).

<snip>

This sounds like an interesting idea, and a little different to how I
initially envisaged community based mapping.

I assume you folks have discussed the relative merits of using the GPS
data to automatically plot the map as opposed to using it as a sketch.
What do you feel makes the sketching option the better choice?

Another option for either methods is to have a selection box in the GPS
tool that allows the user to define what kind of surface they are
travelling on. As an example, if they are going onto the M6, they would
select Motorway. You could define all kinds of types of surface,
including, but not limited to roads. You could also include paths,
parks, private drives and various other types of information.

Is it possible to create the map as some kind of vector based unit so
that when you zoom in closer, you get more detail of the map? I have no
idea how this would be done.

A few final questions:

 - What kind of database schema are you using for the database?

 - What tool are you using to actually store the GPS sketch before it is
uploaded?

Cheers,

    Jono

--
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Writer / Journalist / Consultant / Developer