[Openstreetmap] Database storage format?

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Tue Oct 5 23:07:56 BST 2004

* Petter Reinholdtsen (pere at hungry.com) wrote:

> I just became aware of the OpenGIS site, <URL:http://www.opengis.org/>
> after reading about the PostGIS project,
> <URL:http://postgis.refractions.net/>.
>
> There seem to be an 80 page specification on how to store spatial data
> in SQL.  Check out "Simple Features Specification for SQL" at
> <URL:http://www.opengis.org/docs/99-049.pdf>.  Is this the database
> format we should be using?  I haven't read the specification yet, so
> I'm not sure if it is useful for us or not.
>
> I came across PostGIS when testing qgis,
> <URL:http://qgis.sourceforge.net/>, noticing its support for storing
> map info in a database using PostGIS.

You can use mysql or postgres with the stuff I've written, though I
havn't bothered with the postgres stuff. You just need to instantiate a
psql JDBC class rather than a mysql one.

The format stuff is useful up to a point. But OSM is doing much more
than storing some GIS data, its versioning it and has a bunch of extra
stuff like who created it...

and along with that you want to know if the street is one way, if it has
a cycle lane... blah

I was going to write an email to the list about my format ideas today
but didn't get time. And now its really late.

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/