[Openstreetmap] geodriving results

Amaury Jacquot sxpert at esitcom.org
Thu Apr 7 06:45:51 BST 2005

Alex Willmer wrote:

> Questions:
> - Following the SCO and *Alexis de Tocqueville *claims regarding Linux,
> can we anticipate claims of copyright infringement?

well maybe, but I doubt they will even try. the burden is on the
attacker to prove the data you have is a copy.

> - If so, what raw data and documentation (gpx files, notes, diaries,
> sketches, audio, photos) should be kept to prove clean room
> reimplementation?

yes, it's a good idea

> - What data, if any, can we avoid gathering on the ground (eg points of
> interest, street names, road designations, urban/rural land designation)?

designations are not copyrightable.

> - What data is available, if any, regarding organisational boundries
> such as counties and boroughs?

that may be tougher.

> - By what standard do we judge a road/track as a public road - ie I took
> the rule of thumb 'follow the curb, if it's marked private or it's just
> for parking, don't go there', is that sufficient?

anything that doesn't say 'private, keep out' should be safe

> - Anyone else doing this in the Birmingham area?

I'm in Grenoble, France
my data is at http://www.navsys.org/mapeditor/tracks