[Openstreetmap] Map of Oslo and Norway? (Was: Legal viability of using Landsat and SRTM data as basemaps)

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Apr 20 22:49:15 BST 2005

[Nick Whitelegg]
> The SRTM data is, I believe, public domain data. For a demo visit
> the Freemap site: contours for the whole of the UK below 55N are
> present.  You can also download the source code (PHP) of the site,
> including the contour generation routine, at
> http://www.free-map.org.uk/downloads.php. The code is under LGPL.

How much work is for you to add more areas to your installation?  I
would like to have something similar for Norway, but am not sure if I
will find the time to duplicate your installation myself.

> The source code tarball is a month or two out of date (includes
> contours but no height shading which is on the current version of
> the website) but I hope to upload a more recent source code tarball
> very soon.

How much disk space do you use to store the map over England?  Is
there much processing up front before the map is usable?  I noticed
some comments about processing the elevation data.

I would like to start presenting some useful information about Oslo
using the gps data I've already collected, but am not sure how to get
started. :)