[Openstreetmap] Old map copyrights

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Apr 21 19:00:29 BST 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 01:41:07PM +0200, Jeremy Stocks wrote:
> Isn't there some kind of 100 year rule by which one can use this map?

as i understand it, in the UK, Crown Copyright (which covers
state-collected geodata) expires after 50 years. how this compares
with euro-legislation i'd be curious to know.

(if you're .de it might be worth you trying to hook up with the people
from http://bbbike.sf.net/ ....)
> Additionally, what about VMAP data? I have seen this as a Bittorrent datastream. Please can someone explain this?

VMAP0  is in the public domain and we have a torrent seed of it. It's
very innacurate - not good enough for street level mapping purposes.
there are 4 CD's worth of it.

VMAP1 should be in the public domain - it's been declassified - but
only a fraction of the 230 odd CDs are released. there are various
freeodom of information requests going on, i don't know if they amount
to a campaign. that's definitely closer the low-density-data ideal we
have, and A nd B roads, water bodies etc would come from it
ideally-reliably.
http://www.mapability.com/info/vmap1_intro.html

when/if we get it, it'll probably make a fair bit of difference.

-o