[Openstreetmap] Sources for attributing maps

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Tue Apr 26 12:44:47 BST 2005

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2005, at 13:27, Alex Willmer wrote:
>
>> I'd like to clarify the best sources for attribution such as:
>>
>> -Street names
>> -Junction numbers and names
>> -Zoning (ie town/city limits, national parks)
>>
>> Did OS or local councils hold anything on street names in the early 50s?
>

> OS certainly did, because they were producing street maps at that point.
> Some of the quarter-inch maps, for example, came with a little booklet
> of town plans.
>
> Other cartographers' work from the 1930s can also be used (e.g. the
> London map I posted and which Schuyler kindly torrentified).
>
> I would be interested to hear a legal opinion on whether street names
> can safely be taken from (say) a Bartholomews map from 1954, in which
> the street names had been based on Ordnance Survey data. (As you
> doubtless know, OS Crown Copyright is 50 years, commercial copyright 70
> years.)
>
>> Is it necessary to rely on what local libraries hold for mapping from
>> that period, does anything prevent us getting out of copyright maps
>> direct from OS under the Freedom of Information Act?
>

> See:
> http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/aboutus/foi/coiindex.html
>
> If my understanding is correct, OS charge for replicas of their
> historical maps (in fact, this is the only link under 'Historical
> mapping' in the FoI section), and the "Commercial interests" exemption
> of the FoIA means that they can continue to do this at a market rate.
> IANAL.
>
>> From a previous reply (by Amaury Jacquet), to my questions:
>>
>>> What data, if any, can we avoid gathering on the ground (eg points of
>>> interest, street names, road designations, urban/rural land
>>> designation)?
>>

>> designations are not copyrightable.
>>
>> I'm unsure what the implications of this are. Is a street name
>> copyrightable?
>

> The street name is not copyrightable, but a collection of street names
> is. (IAstillNAL.)
>
>> If so from where is it permissable to source street names and junction
>> names/numbers, in the UK, for use in openstreetmap (eg signs on the
>> ground, out of copyright maps, in copyright maps)?
>

> Permissible, permissible, not permissible. (IAreallylNAL and all of this
> is only my understanding of _UK_ law.)

here in germany the situation was clarified by highest court.
(Bundesgerichtshof, 1998)
map facts have no copyright, but only the map representation.

btw. in some cases, i had the situation here that all paper and
digital maps show the same wrong street names for the same place,
street signs and peoples addresses show something different.

example: Steubenplatz in Darmstadt - all maps show
"Hindenburgstraße" for one side and "Am alten Bahnhof" for the other
side. - all companies, authorities, court there have "Steubenplatz"
addresses.