[Openstreetmap] Re: Landsat update

Gabriel Ebner ge at gabrielebner.at
Sat Apr 30 16:00:08 BST 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 01:03:00PM +0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's to do with the inaccuracy of WGS-84 at the UK's latitude
> and longitude?

WGS84 is just a reference system, the only thing that can be accurate about
it is how well it fits the geoid.

> However, if I correct the code so that it converts *WGS84* track and waypoints
> to screen display, the error becomes worse!

Did you do a datum transformation?  From what you describe, it looks as if the
coordinates are in the wrong datum and you just adjusted the ellipsoid
parameters.

> I think it must be a projection issue rather than inaccuracy in my GPS,
> because the SRTM height data and my GPS tracks correlate very well.

Both are in WGS84, so what you describe is how it should be.

	Gabriel.