[Openstreetmap] Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] OSM's Schema - moving it forwards.

Ben Gimpert ben at somethingmodern.com
Thu Dec 1 10:42:44 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 05:48:28PM +0100, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Ben Gimpert wrote:
>
> > You could preach to me about layers of abstraction atop the data
> > model, but in reality "column-y" data models tend to trickle up
> > through the whole set of application layers.
> >
> > So should we get rid of RDBMS systems for something else?
>
> To whom are you asking these questions?  Apparently, not to me.
> You seem angry, but who is your enemy?  Anybody on this list?

Now see, I was totally gonna stop ranting. But this is specific to me:

I'm asking those questions both rhetorically -- as a writing device --
and generally to the OSM development community, who should be thinking
outside of the box for a project as edgy as OSM. If I seem angry, maybe
it's because I am -- a little. Mostly I'm just weary of people wasting
effort on data format wanking.

I've lurked on this list for a long time, but I chose to speak up during
the most recent in a long tradition of OSM data format threads. Not
because I want to convert everything to CSV or Illustrator, but to point
out the *FUTILITY* of the discussion! There are other GIS-community
mailing lists that have almost been rendered impotent by the amount of
standard wanking (ahem), and I hope it doesn't happen here.

To those who spend effort -- writing messages, designing specs, tweaking
the wiki, coding -- on defining the intricacies of the OSM data
interface: I plead of you, think about writing code. Or learning to
code, if applicable. Based on the average level of intelligence on this
list, Ruby would be grok-able by any of you in a couple days. Steve is
incredibly generous with bringing on new coders.

Yeah I don't write much OSM code now-a-days, but I also don't waste
effort on data format debates. (Except this one. Heh.)

		Ben