[Openstreetmap] Re: Naming segments using applet

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Wed Dec 7 22:33:47 GMT 2005

Immanuel Scholz wrote:
>>Do you (as a theorist) have a better suggestion?  Should we just
>>rename all the streets in the world so they are consistent?  How would
>>your "street" datatype work?
>

> My suggestion is the follow:
>
> Line segments are just connections between two points. They describe a
> linear component of the physical layout of the map we want to draw. So
> segments alone are not a street, but only a line segment. If you define
> a segment you say: "Here is something linear in the world."
>
> A "track" (or a special type of track: "street") is a list of line
> segments forming a logical path on those segments.
>
> This implies to me, that if you have a "two names for a street", you
> have two tracks with two names who happen to share the same physical
> location. The fact something is a "street" is an attribute of the
> physical line. The name is an attribute of the logical connection of
> these lines.

some times ago i proposed a different but similar approach

Streets is a new table that holds informations like name,
importance (overland/local/city),
which city, region or country it belongs to (might be empty)

street and track segment are connected by a n:n relation

so a street can have [1,n] tracks,
while a track segment can belong to [0,n] streets

there must be a ERD for this on the wiki
(can't reach the server to find the link - i get a DNS error)

frank