[Openstreetmap] Re: Naming segments using applet

Tommy Persson tpe at ida.liu.se
Thu Dec 8 10:28:27 GMT 2005

> From: Immanuel Scholz <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de>
> > I think you're probably right about that. I was doing some more
> > editing tonight, and it was okay at about 20:00-21:00 GMT, but
> > thereafter it started to get really bad. After more than 7 attempts
> > at joining a couple of nodes, I just gave up. Zooming in/out was also
> > taking a really long time, and the yellow track dots weren't loading
> > in half the time. Looks like CPU/HD load or bandwith saturation.
> >
> > I guess I'll have to schedule my editing for off peak times.
>
> That is maybe the main reason why offline editors like osmeditor, JOSM
> and osmpeditor exist.

Well, in osmpedit you have to be online to edit since all changes are
done in the OSM server at the same time as you do them in the editor.
I plan to add an offline mode but I wanted to have the online editing
working robustly first since offline editing is a harder problem if
you want to handle some kind of merging.

Some news about osmpedit.  I just added segment split to osmpedit.  So
if you create a node on a segment the following will happen:

  1. The node will be created in the server.
  2. Two new segments with the same tags field as the original segment will be created.
  3. The original segment will be deleted from the server.

This functionality is probably useful in the applet or in other editors...

/Tommy