[Openstreetmap] Segment splitting

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Fri Dec 9 10:07:57 GMT 2005

Hi,

> I am thinking about separating the functionality for street nodes and
> for points of interests since they seem to be different.  Maybe they
> should be of different type in the server?

The current idea of the data base representation is, that every object
(except a raw-gps-point) can have attributes. Given this, I fail to see
the reason why a point of interest should introduce an additional data
type.

> I was thinking about bus stops.  How do you want to represent this?
> Should a node in the "street" be used for marking bus stop?  Or should
> you place nodes beside the segment for bus stops?

I would use just the node in the street, since the bus stop IS a point
in the street.

Other for WLAN hotspots, since they usually not integrated in the
streets. Well, I heard*) that in sweden, people starting to place wlan
router on street lamps, so this router could be represented as street
nodes ;-).

*) from a friend who heard it from a friend who sit in a slimy bar next
to a fishy person whisper about this... ;-)

Ciao, Imi.