[Openstreetmap] public domain in USA (was: How to donate LOTS of Aerial Photos)

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Dec 13 09:46:01 GMT 2005

Hi,

> I have a boatload of very high resolution aerials of the Southern
> Indiana and North Central Kentucky Area.  These are public domain and
> are already geo-referenced.  How do I go about getting these added to
> the OSM dataset?

I assume they are public domain because made by government people living
in the USA?

I already wanted to ask the "legal department" of OSM: Are information
(e.g. maps), which are public domain within the USA are allowed as
reference to draw a map in OSM with? As copyright is a national law, some
countries does not have a "public domain" at all (germany) and stuff that
is public domain in countries may not be in other countries.

As example, german wikipedia allows such pictures to be used, but remindes
that the legal status of this documents outside the USA is not that
crystal clear.. It has a special copyright tag for this public-domain-data
("free because made of a gouvernment within USA"), maybe because they can
easily delete all this data if the legal status turns out to be
copyrighted outside the USA? Maybe not?

Any comments? (My comment is: allow them.)

Ciao, Imi.